Monday, September 05, 2005

Triad Force!

It's Monday. It's Labour Day. I'm not working. Panera Bread gives free (as in beer) Wi-Fi and imposes no time limit.

Awesome.

Over my lunch (Broccoli Cheddar soup and Sierra Turkey sandwich), I decided to read some comics. And I looked at the previous entry in this blog. I'm liking the idea of wine information for the unknowing folks out there. Plus, perhaps a weekly post about a good <$20 bottle that's good for a college date or lonely friday night. Speak to me, Mr. Gewurztraminer! So, some trips to wineries in the area (possibly some trips elsewhere too) for some good info and writing material. I can do that. Possibly even get a date out of it too... hey, I have to at least try.

The comics though. Interesting topics there for blogs. The ideas don't tend to follow any structure. In fact, the structure seems to be there only in the essance that there is no discernable structure to be found. Penny Arcade is a good example. Lots of posting. Lots of variance. In addition, Diesel Sweeties, Goats, Overcompensating, and many other online comics are a weird combination of art and writing. Like a blog that doesn't want to rely on the writing alone to maintain an audience. Might as well make it pretty too.

I find that despite not having a linear feel for the postings most of the time, these posts still can hold a readership together because people feel more loyal to the writer than the material he/she creates. It shows that good writing and material can overcome the lack of reason or structure. To convey thought well can draw people in the same way that good aggregating seems to draw people to other news repeaters.

In a way, I would like to accomplish both tasks sans artwork. I'm not even sure I can draw a passing wine glass. However, by getting a blog that combines useful information that isn't necessarily related linearly but more in a 6-degrees sort of way, I can keep people reading just because they gain something from the material and not the reliability of what's to come.

Posted by Ben at 9/05/2005 02:23:00 PM


0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home